Wednesday, November 6, 2013

What are you reading Wednesday

Posted by Unknown at 3:11 PM
What are you reading?
Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh. I have been following Allie's blog for several years now. She is one of many internet personalities whose life I follow in that creepily detached way encouraged by social media celebrity. I worry about her. I worry about her depression and her dogs. I worry that she isn't getting her meds. I worry that she's sad.

Last night, when I was fighting my own demons and losing, I took Hyperbole and a Half (the book! squee!) to bed with me. I read Allie's letters to her younger selves and I read, once again, the story of the Simple Dog. I laughed so hard that my boyfriend woke up and insisted that he was sleepy and wanted to sleep. I put the book down, and when I woke up I felt better.

What did you just finish reading?
So many things! Over the weekend, I read Kabu Kabu by Nnedi Okorafor. It's a collection of her short stories. They all have her voice, which I love. Some are creepy, some are sweet, some are obviously parts of bigger stories (I can't wait for her next novel, Lagoon, to come out). 

Then I read Spice and Wolf vol. 8. It remains a manga about economics with a wolf girl who would rather not wear clothing. It's proof that there are plenty of ideas for comics out there. This volume was the dramatic conclusion to last volume's cliffhanger -- which was well done, I think. I do want to reread this series at some point, now that I have a whole pile of them.

My quest for more books continues with the audiobook of Uncle Tungsten by Oliver Sacks. I almost wish I'd read this book when I was younger, so it could have inspired me. It takes the story of Sacks's childhood and runs it in parallel to the story of chemistry, from alchemy through quantum mechanics. He renders the periodic table of the elements into a beautiful thing, a work of art that reflects the deepest nature of reality. I'm not doing this book justice. Argh. Just go read it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2009 Fast Paced Thoughts | Design by [blogger merak dua]